Planning Your Dayton Engagement Session And Cincinnati Engagement Session
Thank you again for checking out Kevin Lush Photography to photograph your wedding day. It is time to start thinking about when and where to do your complimentary one hour engagement session. Your session can be scheduled between your contract date and the day before your wedding. Should you choose not to use your engagement session, you will lose it.
Purpose Of An Engagement Session
Many people wonder why I provide a complimentary engagement photo session to every bride and groom. For selfish reasons, it is to get to know you and to learn how to make you more comfortable in front of the camera. I really want you to feel comfortable with me, the photographer and to get excited about photography for your wedding day. Knowing how your photographer operates and acts behind the camera will ease the stress on your wedding day. You'll already know that we get along, and you'll know how much you love your engagement photos!
Engagement Session Schedule
Engagement sessions can be scheduled for the three times listed below. If you cannot fit into any of these time slots, I will do my best to work around your schedule. I have set aside these three times to give you three different choices that provide the best light and also fit into my busy schedule.
- May-September – Monday 7pm-8pm
- May-September – Wednesday 7pm-8pm
- May-September – Sunday 8am-9am
- October-April – Monday 5pm-6pm
- October-April – Wednesday 5pm-6pm
- October-April – Sunday 9am-10am
Engagement Session Planning Tips
I am invested in you, your engagement session and your wedding. Providing engagement session planning tips ensures I can make your images exceed expectations. These tips are my suggestions to make your session enjoyable and as beautiful as possible.
- Avoid wearing white or black – colors make your images really stand out.
- Try to dress in a complimentary but non-matching way.
- You may change clothes, but most locations don't have anywhere to do so. This will eat into your one hour time slot.
- If you wear heels, bring comfortable shoes for walking between locations.
- Use extra hair spray on windy days to minimize hair in your face.
- Have your hair and makeup professionally done.
- Be on time or early (I am always early) as I often have back-to-back engagement sessions.
- Props are always ok.
- Pets are ok except at Cox Arboretum MetroPark; Pets are prohibited in the park.
- Send me a Pinterest board if you have collected ideas for your engagement session.
Engagement Session Location Ideas In Dayton Ohio
- Victoria Theatre
- Schuster Center
- Wright Brothers sculptures
- Courthouse Square
- Why to choose downtown Dayton, Ohio: The beautiful architecture, wide streets and endless backdrops make this one of my favorite engagement locations in all of Dayton, Ohio.
- Why not to choose downtown Dayton, Ohio: Don’t choose this engagement location if you are looking for engagement images in a natural setting.
- Brick Buildings
- Historic homes
- Bridge / Trains
- Why to choose Oregon District: Historic buildings, brick streets and a huge number of backgrounds makes this one of my top engagement locations.
- Why not to choose Oregon District: There is a lot of vehicle and foot traffic that can interfere with engagement photo shoots.
- Downtown views
- Why to choose 2nd Street Market MetroPark: Brick streets, revitalized industrial building, trains and more make this a fantastic urban engagement session location.
- Why not to choose 2nd Street Market MetroPark: This is a man-made environment and not good for people looking for nature.
- Waterfall (small)
- Wood structures
- Why to choose Hills & Dales MetroPark: This park features a small pond, wooden pergola and beautiful fall foliage.
- Why not to choose Hills & Dales MetroPark: It is quite dark in the wooded areas, and there isn’t a lot of room to move when others are in the park.
- Farm animals
- Large lake with boardwalk
- Why to choose Carriage Hill MetroPark: The lake with the nature-surrounded boardwalk makes this a very unique location.
- Why to choose Carriage Hill MetroPark: Limited evening hours may make this park challenging for an engagement session.
- Foot bridge
- Why to choose RiverScape MetroPark: Having the Dayton skyline, Fifth/Third Field and Great Miami River as backdrops make this a must-do engagement photography location in Dayton.
- Why not to choose RiverScape MetroPark: There is very little shade at this park, so engagement sessions should be done on cloudy days for best results.
- Waterfall (large)
- Fall foliage
- Open fields
- Why to Choose Charleston Falls Preserve: The large waterfall and scenic pond make this a unique engagement photo location in the Dayton area.
- Why not to Choose Charleston Falls Preserve: It is a 1/2-mile hike to the falls and even further to the pond.
- Open field
- Why to choose Cox Arboretum MetroPark: Every season brings new colors and varied plant growth to make this park beautiful.
- Why not to choose Cox Arboretum MetroPark: This is the most over-used, busy and common outdoor photography location in the Dayton area.