Tips For Choosing Your Dream Wedding Photographer
Choosing The Best Photographer To Fit Your Needs
Choosing a professional photographer for your wedding day can be complicated, but it doesn’t have to be. No matter what city or area you live in, there are dozens of photographers who are competing to photograph your dream day. This post is designed to help guide you to the wedding photographer that matches your style, needs, and emotions. Taking the time to find the perfect photographer will ensure you get the best person to capture the memories of your big day.
After photographing more than 160 weddings, I can say there is a most effective order to booking your wedding vendors. Choosing a date for your wedding and choosing the wedding and reception venues are the first two items on your list. You will have to decide if your wedding date is most important or if your venue is most important. Many brides and grooms are set on a wedding venue, but when their desired venue is booked, a new wedding date is chosen. On the other hand, many brides are determined to have a wedding date and they will choose a venue that is available on their desired date. Whichever way you decide on your date and venues is up to you. Your next decision should be choosing your wedding photographer!
Here are my top 10 tips for choosing your dream wedding photographer in Dayton, Cincinnati, Columbus, and beyond.
- Choosing a wedding photographer is an emotional decision. When first seeing a photographer’s website you should have an emotional reaction. Hopefully, upon seeing my Dayton and Cincinnati wedding photography website, you had a positive emotional reaction and that you loved what you first saw.
- A wedding photographer’s portfolio should be creative and diverse and should evoke further emotion from you. I take great pride in providing a high quality, sophisticated wedding photography in my portfolio. I hope when you see my wedding photography portfolio you will be able to see yourself reflected in the images.
Style And Creativity
- Assuming you like the wedding portfolio you see, your next step would be to decide if the photographer’s style matches what you have in mind for your wedding. If you are looking for mostly candid images but the portfolio shows only posed images, that photographer might not fit your needs. I try very hard to produce artistic and candid images that fit the styles of many brides and grooms.
Budget And Pricing
- One big consideration when choosing a wedding photographer is your budget and the price of the photographer. Since I opened my business in 2007, I have listed my wedding photography prices on my website. I believe in giving you all the information up front without make you email me or call me to get pricing. I don’t want to waste your time if you are looking for a wedding photographer who charges half of what I do or one that charges double what I do. Always consider that I offer discounts for the military. All you have to do is ask!
Comparing To Others
- Once you have narrowed down your favorite wedding photographers by portfolio and price, the next thing to do is to compare each photographer. Things to compare are the number of photographers, are digital images included, is a free engagement session offered, is a complimentary wedding album offered, does the photographer backup your images, and much more. Visit my pricing page, and you’ll see that my all-inclusive wedding photography packages can’t be beaten.
What Is Included
- Once you have narrowed down your wedding photographer choice to one or two people, check with them to get the final details on what they have to offer. With Kevin Lush Photographer, everything is always included in my wedding photography packages. What is listed on my website is what you get, every time!
Referrals And Testimonials
- To be sure your photographer choice is reputable, be sure to check out unbiased wedding photographer reviews on sites like Google, WeddingWire.com, TheKnot.com, and more. I try to post all of my reviews on the reviews and testimonials page of my website so you can see them. Still, check the other websites to see fully verified reviews.
Is My Date Available
- The next step is to contact the desired photographer to see if he or she is available on your wedding date. This is the part that is always exciting for me as the wedding photographer. I get inquiries from excited brides and grooms, and often I am already booked on their wedding date. It is painful to have to tell potential brides and grooms that I am booked. I always feel honored to get emails and calls from people who want me to be their wedding photographer. Thank you to every one of my past brides, future brides, and brides that were unable to book me!
Communication And Attention To Details
- Once you have completed all the steps above and your desired photographer is available, pay attention to the communication style and timeliness of responses from the person you chose. If you are emailing or calling the photographer and getting unprofessional responses or no responses at all, that photographer may not be the one for you. I take great pride in providing quick and courteous customer service to all past, present, and potential brides. I believe responding quickly to you means that you will be confident in your choice to have me photograph your wedding.
Contract And Professionalism
- The final steps to choosing your wedding photographer are to sign a contract and to finalize the details of your wedding day. Your chosen photographer should have a professional wedding photography contract that lays out the terms of their service and the protections in it for you, the bride and groom. Once you are satisfied that the photographer meets all of your requirements, has a professional contract, and feels right to you, it is time to sign the contract. I love when new brides and grooms choose me to be their wedding photographer, and I believe the contract signing is just the beginning of a great relationship.