Every wedding is different. Every wedding day preparation routine is identical. In order to maintain consistency and sanity, I prepare for every wedding day the way I always have. Below, I will share my routine and the equipment that comes to each wedding. The best advice I can give to another photographer is that routine calms the brain and ensure that you don't forget any important equipment.
Wedding Photography Preparation:
- Six days prior to the event, I begin charging all batteries
- When batteries are charged, they go into battery pockets, positive end up. This tells me that the batteries are charged
- Early in the week I ensure that my wedding outfit is washed and ready to be worn
- The night before the event, I assemble all lighting equipment (in a suitcase), cameras, flashes, lenses, batteries and memory cards
- The morning of the event, I double check that all equipment is accounted for
- I do not book anything else on a wedding day. The wedding is my only focus.
- I load the car with all of my equipment and extra clothes just in case
- If it is really hot outside or if I am shooting a twelve hour wedding, I will load a small cooler with water and snacks
- I eat a large breakfast or lunch so that I am not hungry at the event
- I leave plenty early for the event
- When I arrive at the event (early), I listen to music or podcasts until it is time to begin!